This position has been filled.
I am hiring a postdoc to work in a project on multilayer networks, climate change, and polarisation in media. The position is until the end of the project in 2022, and it is at the complex networks research group in the Department of Computer Science at Aalto University in Finland. Due to the current situation the starting date is flexible.
About the project
This project is about two burning questions in the world right now, climate change and increased polarisation, and how to use the latest ideas in network science to study them. The project is titled “Echo Chambers, Experts and Activists: Networks of Political Communication (ECANET)”, and it is funded by the main Finnish funding agency, Academy of Finland. The idea is to analyse how network roles and mechanisms related to polarisation work when they are taken out of isolation and multiple networks are considered at the same time. For example, are the polarisation mechanisms in social media amplified or dampened by what the traditional media does? Is there differences between countries in this? Our interdisciplinary team including experts on policy networks (University of Helsinki) and media studies (University of Tampere) will use data analysis and modelling approaches to study this type of questions. As a methodology we will use data analysis and mathematical modelling of multilayer networks. We have already collected data, built multilayer networks and started analysing them.
Your task in the project is to apply advanced network data analysis methods and model the phenomena we have already observed. As an example of a possible modelling approach, see our recent article on group formation due to homophily amplification. The project is flexible and you will be able to pursue your own ideas and play on your strengths, but with the possibility to learn more.
What do you get
– A key position in an ambitious research project with backing of 3 research groups at the top of their fields
– Access to data and expertise related to project and otherwise
– Interdisciplinary team that already understands each other and is producing results
– Freedom and support to pursue your own research ideas (also outside of the project, see here for examples of research in my group)
– Great place to work in a top international research group focused on network science
– An environment where we care about your career development. For example, training on large-scale computing or access to mentoring PhD/MSc students and teaching if that is what you are looking for
– Place to work in Finland, which is a stable society and the happiest country of the world. Most of our international alumni have decided to stay in Finland
– Decent salary (currently standard postdoc salaries are around 3600-3800 EUR per month before taxes)
Who am I looking for
You should have:
– Solid background in network science and analysis of network data
– Programming skills needed to do simulations and data analysis (we mostly use Python/C++)
– Interest to work in an interdisciplinary project together with social scientists
– Interest towards multilayer networks and other topics of the project
It is considered a bonus if you have:
– Experience in analytical techniques for network evolution models
– Experience working with social network, Twitter data, and/or multilayer networks
– Knowledge of or enthusiasm for climate change politics, policy networks, media studies or other topics of the project
How to apply
To apply just email me at mikko.kivela (at) aalto.fi. You can include a CV if you have one ready, but don’t let it stop you if you are still working on it. I will arrange remote interviews with candidates as applications come in.